The Draper Family Link
I am unsure when and where James Draper was born.
James Draper married Ann Stevens on 1st April 1828 at St. Peters & Pauls church, Market Overton, Rutland. James is of the parish of East Stoke in the county of Nottingham and Ann is of the parish of Market Overton. One of the witnesse's is Mary Stevens, Ann’s sister.
When I looked through the parish records of East Stoke I could not find any record of James being born there?
Children of James and Ann
is baptised at St. Peters & Pauls church, Market Overton on the 17th
In the 1841 Census James Draper (12) is living in Market Overton, Rutland with his Granddad Richard Stevens (60). Richards’s occupation is Shoe Marker.
In the 1851 Census James Draper (22) is still living in Market Overton, Rutland with his Granddad Richard Stevens (74). Richards’s occupation is Shoe Marker and James’ is Agricultural Labourer.
I have not been able to find any more records on what happened to James and Ann except James is mentioned on the recording of his son’s wedding.
married Eliza King on 14th
February 1853 at St. Peters &
Pauls church, Market Overton, Rutland.
Children of James and Eliza
1. John…….birth registered in the district of Oakham in 1853 (Sep. 7a 218)
2. James…….birth registered in the district of Oakham in 1855 (Dec. 7a 222)
3. George…….birth registered in the district of Oakham in 1859 (Sep. 7a 237)
the 1861 Census James Draper (32) and Eliza (30) are living at a Private
House, Oakham. They have
4. William…….birth registered
in the district of Oakham in 1862 (Mar.
5. Harry Royston…….was born on the 28th
August 1864 in Market Overton.
His father’s (James) occupation is
6. David…….birth registered in the district of Oakham in 1866 (Sep. 7a242)
7. Beatrice S……. birth registered in the district of Oakham in 1867 (Sep. 7a 255)
I came across an entry in the death register of March 1871 of a Eliza Draper who died aged 38 in the district of Oakham (7a 113).
the 1871 census James Draper (42) is living at
The Hall, Oakham. He is a widower and has five children
living with him, George (11), William (9), Harry R (6), David (4) and Beatrice S (3).
the 1881 Census James Draper (52) is living at 173, Argyle St, Leicester St Margaret. Living with him
are his son’s Harry
R (17) and David (14) and his daughter Beatrice S (13).
*Is Elizabeth the same Elizabeth who is down as housekeeper in the 1871 census?
came across an entry in the death register of June 1882 of a James Draper who died aged 54 in the
What Happened to the children of James and Eliza
1. John…….married Elizabeth Glenn in 1872 (Leicester - Dec. 7a 475)
the 1891 Census, John (37) and Elizabeth (40) are living at 7 Birstall Street, Leicester. Living
with them are they six children, Sarah (21),
William H (17), Eliza A (15), John (12), James (10) and George E (1).
2. James……. married Katharine Shortland in 1876 (Leicester – Dec. 7a 467)
the 1891 Census, James (35) and Catherine (37) are living at 29 Heanor Street Leicester. They have
3. George…….married Ellen Sturgess in 1885 (Leicester – Jun. 7a 365)
the 1901 Census George (41) and Ellen
(38) are living at 2 Heanor Street Leicester. They have three children living
with them, Albert (14), Alfred G (11), and Ernest (13).
the 1901 Census David (34) and Florence A (29) are living at 26 Lorrimer Road,
the 1901 Census Beatrice (33) and Samuel
(35) are living at 99 Cobden Street, Leicester.
(24) and Eliza Varnam (21) got
married at the parish church in the parish of St. Margaret’s, Leicester on the
10th June 1889.
Children of Harry and Eliza
1. Harold Cecil…….birth registered in the district of Leicester in 1890 (Mar. 7a 305)
the 1891 Census Harry (26) and Eliza (27) are living at 6 Craven
Place, West Leicester. They have one child living with them, Harold (1).
2. Herbert…….birth registered in the district of Leicester in 1891 (Sep. 7a 315)
3. Ernest…….birth registered in the district of Leicester in 1893 (Mar. 7a 176)
4. Beatrice Susan…….birth registered in the district of Leicester in 1898 (Sep. 7a 215)
5. Maud Lillian…….was born on 25th September 1900 (Leicester Dec. 7a 184)
the 1901 Census Harry
(36) and Eliza (32) are
living at 10 Warrington Street Leicester. They have four children living with
them, Herbert (9), Ernest (7), Beatrice (2) and Maud (6
6. Hilda May…….birth registered in the district of Leicester in 1903 (Mar. 7a 189)
7. Norah Annie…….birth registered in the district of Leicester in 1907 (Mar. 7a 180)
the 1911 Census Harry
(46) and Eliza (41) are
living at 48 Swan Street Leicester.
came across an entry in the death register of June 1916 of a Harry R Draper who died aged 52 in the
(23) and George Frederick Bragg (23)
got married at the parish church in the parish of All Saint’s, Leicester on the
22nd December 1923.
came across an entry in the death register of June 1954 of a Eliza Draper who died aged 86 in the district
What Happened to the children of Harry and Eliza
1. Harold Cecil…….does not appear on
the 1901 census. I came across an
entry in the death register
2. Herbert……. I was told Herbert died in his early twenty’s. I came across an entry in the death register of Dec 1913 of a Herbert Draper who died aged 22 in the district of Leicester (7a 287).
3. Ernest……. married Agnes Peel in 1919 and had four children, Phyllis A (died in 1933, aged 13), Dennis, Enid and Iris.
4. Beatrice…….never married
5. Maud…….see above
6. Hilda…….married Joe White in 1927 and had a daughter June
7. Norah…….married William Graber in 1930 and had two children Mavis and Bill.
1. Joyce Lillian…….born in 1928
2. Kenneth George…….born in 1931
1. Joyce Lillian…….married George Dennis Loomes in 1949 and had two children Jayne Elizabeth born in1956 and Nicholas George born in 1959.
2. Kenneth George…….married Doreen M Smith in 1955
and had two children Mark C born in 1963 and Michael Anthony
born in 1966.