The Dupree Family Link
Lambert was born around 1740 in England.
Lambert married Mary Granson on November 3rd 1780 at Saint Matthew, Bethnal Green, London (familysearch.org). Mary was born around 1760.
Children of Lambert and Mary
1. John.......was born between 1780 and 1784 in Newbury, Reading, Berkshire.
2. Susanne.......was born 30th April 1790 in London and was christened on 6th June 1790 in French Huguenot, Threadneedle Street, London.
3. Catherine.......was born 15th July 1792 in London and was christened on 16th September 1792 in French Huguenot, Threadneedle Street, London.
4. Lambert.......was born 3rd January 1800 in Shoreditch, London and was christened on 29th January 1800 in St Leonards, Shoreditch, London.
What Happened to the Children of Lambert and Mary
1. John.......married Sarah Allan on the 30th October 1865 at St Nicholas, Deptford, Greenwich, Kent. Sarah was the daughter of Thomas Allan and was born in 1800 in Northamptonshire. John died on 7th September 1877 in Greenwich, Kent. Sarah died on 24th March 1889 in Union Workhouse, Greenwich, Kent.
4. Lambert.......see below
Lambert was married
twice; his 1st wife was Sarah
Wilson who he married on 2nd July 1822 in St Leonard’s, Shoreditch, London. (Sarah was born around 1800
and died before 1830).
Children of Lambert and Elizabeth
1. Maria Louisa.......was born 25th February 1831 in Shoreditch, London and was christened on 16th March 1831 in St Leonard’s, Shoreditch, London.
2. Francis.......was born before 11th
May 1834 in Stepney, London and was
christened on 11th May
3. Jane.......was born in 1835 in Middlesex.
4. John.......was born in 1835 in Spitalfields, Middlesex.
5. Christopher John.......was born before 30th
August 1835 in Spitalfields, London
and was christened
6. Mary Amelia Charlotte.......was born before 16th September 1838 in Spitalfields, London and was christened on 16th September 1838 in Christchurch, Spitalfields, London.
7. Sarah Ann.......was born around March 1841 in Whitechapel, London.
In the 1841
(35), (not Lambert) and Elizabeth
(35) are living on Red Lion Street, Christchurch, Tower
Hamlets. Living with them are their 4 children Maria (10), Jane (6), Mary (2) and Sarah
For some reason Francis, Christopher and John, don’t appear on this census?
What Happened to the Children of Lambert and Elizabeth
1. Maria Louisa.......died in about June 1907 in Bethnal Green, London aged 76.
5. Christopher John.......see below
6. Mary Amelia Charlotte.......married John Pearce in December 1856 in Bethnal Green.
7. Sarah Ann.......
All the above information has come from the ancestor table of the
“McCann’s of Milton Keynes” which I found
Christopher married Caroline Burles on the 10th
of February 1862 at St James Church,
Children of Christopher and Caroline
1. John Lambeth*.......was born on the 10th October 1856, at 20 Weaver Street, Bethnal Green. Christopher profession is down as a Horse Hair Dresser Journeyman.
2. Elizabeth*.......was born in 1859 in Spitalfields, London.
3. Christopher John.......was born in 1862 in the district of Shoreditch, London (Mar 1c 44).
4. Maria Caroline.......was born in the district of Whitechapel, London in 1864 (Dec 1c 340)
5. Celina.......was born in 1867 in Spitalfields, London.
6. Emily.......was born in 1870 in Spitalfields, London.
In the 1871
(37) and Caroline (35) are living at
11 Carters Rents (Spital Street) in the District of Whitechapel, Mile End Town.
In the 1871 census Lambert (70) and Elizabeth (72) are living on Spicer St, Stepney, London.
Elizabeth died in about 1873 in Bethnal Green, Middlesex.
Lambert died in about 1877 in Holborn, London.
7. Lydia.......was born in 1872 in the district of Holborn, London. (Jun 1b 732)
8. William.......was born June 1874 in Hull, Yorkshire.
9. Florence.......was born in 1879 in Aston, Birmingham, Warwickshire
(Jun 6d 251).
9. Florence.......was born in 1879 in Aston, Birmingham, Warwickshire (Jun 6d 251).
John (21) married Rosannah
Carter (21) on the 8th April 1878 in Manchester. (Not sure if they are living up there, or if
its where Rosannah family comes from).
In the 1881
census Christopher (45) and Caroline
(44) are living at 36 Booth Street, Spitalfields,
10. Francis…….was born in 1882 in the district of Whitechapel, London (Dec. 1c 328).
In the 1891
census Christopher’s name was not
recorded, perhaps working away? But Caroline
(53) is and
I can not find Christopher and Caroline in the 1901 census records.
What Happened to the Children of Christopher and Caroline
1. John Lambeth.......See above and below
4. Maria Caroline.......
5. Celina.......I did come across a Selina Emily who died age 10 in 1877 in the district of London City (Dec 1c 30)
7. Lydia.......I came across a Lydia Dupree who married a William Whitehouse in 1898
8. William.......I came across William staying with his brother Francis in the 1911 census see below.
10. Francis.......married Mary Ann Ayres in 1902 in the district of Shoreditch (Dec. 1c 150).
In the 1911
census Francis (28) and Mary Ann
(27) are living at 4 Dunloe St Haggerston N E, London.
Children of John and Rosannah
1. John W.......born in about 1878 in Manchester.
2. Arthur Lambert.......is born on the 3rd November 1881 at home, which was 36 Booth Street Spitalfields, Mile End New Town, Whitechapel. (this address is John’s parents, Christopher and Caroline’s address)
3. Rose.......I did come across a Rose Caroline in the birth register of 1887 who was born in the district of Shoreditch, London. (Dec 1c 123). In her school records her date of birth is down for 3/8/1889.
In the 1891
census John (34) and Rose (33)
are living at 42 Smithfield, Sheffield, Yorkshire (West Ridding).
In the 1891 census John (34) and Rose (33) are living at 42 Smithfield, Sheffield, Yorkshire (West Ridding).
I can not find John and Rose
in any more census records.
I can not find John and Rose in any more census records.
Between 1891 and 1900 I believe that John, Rose and the children moved to Worcester.
John died between 1891 and 1900 as he is down as deceased on Arthur’s wedding certificate. I also came across a Rose Dupree who died in Worcester in 1898 aged 40 (Apr - 6c 161).
School Records of Rose Caroline
I have found the school record for Rose Caroline taken in 1896 for Hounds Lane Council School, (Girls Department), Worcester. It tell us the date of her admission or re-admission was 1/12/1896, parent name is John Dupree, her residence is Newport Street, her date of birth is 3/8/1889, her last school attended was Infant Department and the date of leaving the school was 29/4/1898. Click here to see an image of this record.
I also have found Rose’s school record taken in 1900, again for Hounds Lane Council School, (Girls Department), Worcester. The date of her admission or re-admission was 3/9/1900, no parent name is written down, her residence is the Cottages Homes, her date of birth is 3/8/1889, her last school attended was in London and the date of leaving the school was 7/2/1902. Click here to see an image of this record.
What Happened to the Children of John and Rose
1. John W.......
2. Arthur Lambert.......See below.
3. Rose.......In the census of 1901 I found Rose (12) as an inmate at *Cottages Homes, Wylds Lane, Worcester, place of birth is down as unknown, as I pointed out above I believe both her parents were dead.
I found this information on the Cottages Homes: “The cottage homes were set up to provide a brighter future for
poor and orphaned children. A master or superintendent and a matron
headed a small team of staff that offered children some of the advantages that
had been lost to them. A place to sleep, bathe, food to eat
In the 1911
census Rose (21) is working as a servant (General Domestic) and
is living at 36 Fields Road Tredegar, Monmouthshire. The name of the family she is working for is Hood and the head of the house is Isaac (51) who is married to Mary Ann (51).
*We know Rose was born in London.
In the marriage register I did come across a Rose C Dupree who married a John V Jones in 1916 in
Arthur married Ada Smith on the 30th? June 1900 at the Register Office in the
district of Worcester.
* Dolday or Doldy was a street in Worcester which I came across when I was
looking for Ada in the census
Children of Arthur and Ada
1. Rose.......born 18/8/1899 in Worcester (taken from school records).
2. Male.......birth registered in the district of Worcester in 1901 (Mar. 6c 282)
In the 1901
census Arthur (21) and Ada (20)
are living on Wellington Court, Worcester.
3. William Arthur L.......birth registered in the district of Worcester in 1902 (Sep. 6c 265)
In between 1902 and 1904 Arthur and Ada move to Tredegar, Monmouthshire, Wales.
4. Florence.......(20/7/04*) birth registered in the district of Bedwelty in 1904 (Sep. 11a 135)
5. Walter.......(14/6/06*) birth registered in the district of Bedwelty in 1906 (Sep. 11a 118)
6. Bernard....... was born on 14th April 1908. He was born at home at 148 Vale Terrace, Tredegar. Arthur’s occupation at the time was a coal miner.
7. Edith.......(20/4/10*) birth registered in the district of Bedwelty in 1910 (Jun. 11a 155)
* Birth dates taken from information given on Arthur's Military service records.
School Record of Rose Ann
For some reason between April and June of 1909, Rose is back living in Worcester,
only guessing but was it
I have found the
school record for Rose Ann Dupree taken
in 1909 for
Hounds Lane Council School, (Girls Department), Worcester. It tell us
the date of her admission or re-admission was 26/4/1909,
parent’s name are Arthur and Ada, her
residence is Me**ivale, her date of birth is 18/8/1899, her last school attended
In 1909 Arthur was summond at Newport for causing a disturbance on a train, Click here to read about this story that appeared in The Western Daily
Press (Bristol) dated 18th October.
In the 1911
(32) and Ada (29) live at 61
Whitworth Terrace, Tredegar.
8. William.......(22/2/12*) birth registered in the district of Bedwelty in 1912 (Jun. 11a 209)
9. Elsie.......(16/9/14*) birth registered in the district of Bedwelty in 1914 (Jun. 11a 236)
In the 1911 census Christopher (76) is windowed and is a inmate at Shoreditch Workhouse, 213 Kingsland road, Shoreditch, his occupation is down as Horsehair Dresser.
I did come across a Christopher Dupree, aged 78, whose
death was registered in the district of Wandsworth, London in 1916 (Apr - 1d 664). Not 100% sure in what year Caroline died, but I did come across a
World War One
At the age of 34 and 8 months Arthur enlisted for the Army in Cardiff on 11/4/1916.
He was assigned to the 2/5 Royal Welsh Fusiliers Regiment, Regtl. No. 4443
On his Record of Service Paper his address is 61 Whitworth Terrace, Tredegar and his trade was Collier.
On his Proceedings of Discharge sheet we find out that Arthur was, 5’ 41/2” tall, weighed 127 lbs, had brown hair, blue eyes, a fair complexion and tattoo figures etc. on his left forearm.
On his Descriptive Report we see Arthur is married to Ada and they have six children, Flo, Walter, Bernard, William, Edith and Elsie.
Pte. Arthur was discharged from the army on 18/09/1916 after only 5 months service, on medical grounds, due to an Inguinal Hernia which he had had for 9 years.
click here to see Arthur's Military service records
What Happened to the Children of Arthur and Ada
5. Walter.......died in 1937 aged 31 (Bedwelty Jun. 11a 120)
6. Bernard.......See Below
7. Edith.......married Patrick
Cunningham in the district of Hackney in 1934 (Oct. 1B 983). I believe
8. William.......died in 1934 aged 22 (Bedwelty Jun. 11a 91)
9. Elsie.......married William C Davies in the district of Bedwelty in 1933 (Sep. 11a 231). I believe they had four children Elizabeth M b.1934, Graham b.1937, William J b. 1945 and Anthony R b.1947. Elsie died in 1996.
Bernard married Elsie Maud Carne on the 26th December 1933.
Children of Bernard and Elsie
1. Sheila Denise…….born 5th August 1935
2. Edith Lorraine…….born in 1937
3. Bernard Arthur Frederick…….born 24th December 1939
Arthur died in 1940, aged 58, his death was registered in the district of bedwelty, Monmouthshire (Jul – 11a 184). Could not find when Ada died.
Bernard died in 1945, aged 37, his death was registered in the district of
What Happened to the Children of Bernard and Elsie
1. Sheila Denise…….married
Richard John Bedford in 1959, they
had three children, Elaine born in
2. Edith Lorraine……. known as
Lorraine, married twice, first time to Ronald Deal in 1955, second time
3. Bernard A F…….know as Terry died aged 12 in 1951