The Ironton Family Link
Timothy was born in about 1790 in Stevenage, Hertfordshire.
Timothy was married twice, his first marrage was to Hannah Godfrey who he married in December 1815 in Datchworth, Hertfordshire.
Children of Timothy and Hannah
1. Timothy.......born 6th February 18192. Hannah Mary....... born 10th April 1821
Hannah died before 1828.
Timothy's second marrage was to Sarah Kent who he married on 13th December 1828 in Welwyn, Hertfordshire.
Sarah was born 6th December 1807 in Datchworth, daughter of William Kent and Susannah Whittenbury.
Children of Timothy and Sarah
about 1830, Datchworth
2. Jane.......born about 1832, Datchworth
3. George.......born about 1836, Hertford
4. Harriet Elizabeth.......born about 1839, Hertford
the 1841 Census Timothy (45) and Sarah (30) are living in the village of Bulls Green, Datchworth, Hertfordshire.
5. Susan.......born about 1842,
6. Joseph....... born about 1845, Datchworth
7. Richard....... born about 18488. Sarah……. born about 1850, Datchworth
the 1851 Census Timothy (??) and Sarah (43) are living in the village of Bulls Green, Datchworth, Hertfordshire.
Children of Ann (name of the father had not been recorded on the baptism's)
1. Emma.......baptised on the 29th January 1854, Welwyn, Hertford
2. John.......baptised on the 12th February 1860, Welwyn, Hertford
3. Agnes Anne.......born 1857 and baptised on the 20th March 1864, Welwyn, Hertford
the 1861 *Census Timothy (71) and Sarah (54) are living in the village of Harmer Green,
*Looking at the original 1861 census it looks like Timothy and Sarah could of been sharing their home or vise versa with their daughter Jane (28) and her husband William Bunyan (33) and thier children William (10) and Elizabeth (7) as they are doing in the 1871 census.
Ann married George Prior on the 19th November 1864 in Welwyn. George was the son of William and Martha Prior.
Children of Ann and George
1. James.......born abt 1865, Welwyn,
the 1871 Census Timothy (78) and Sarah (63) are still living in the village of Harmer
Green, Welwyn, Hertfordshire.
the 1871 Census Ann (41) and George (33) are living in the village of Harmer
Green, Welwyn, Hertfordshire.
*I am not sure if George is the father of John going on the fact that he his name is not record at his baptism and that John was born 4 years before he and Ann got married.
**James T Ironton is the son of Ann's sister Susan, yet he was brought up by Ann and George as one of their own as he is also recorded living with them in the 1881 and 1891 census and again in the 1901 census (after the death of Ann in 1893) living with George and his wife Emily and son Frederick. I have no idea of the circumstances that led to James living with Ann, but Susan in the 1871 census is living in Kensington and is married to John Sears, they have a child Alfred (2).
Sarah died 29th August 1880 in Harmer Green, Welwyn, aged 74 (Sep – Hatfield 3a 240)
What Happened to the Children of Timothy and Sarah.
1. Ann.......See above and below
2. Jane.......aged 19, married William Bunyan on 23rd January 1850 in Datchworth, Hertfordshie. Jane's surname is wrongly spelt, Hyington in stead of Ironton. Father of the groom is William and the father of the bride is Timothy.
In the 1851
Census William (30) and Jane (18) are living in Bulls Green, Datchworth, Hertfordshire.
William and Jane had three more children, Elizabeth 1854, John 1865 and Harriet 1870.
William died between 1891 and 1901 and Jane died after 1901
Mary Cook** on the 12th July 1863 at Holy Trinity Church, Finchley,
London. Both are residing in Finchley at the time of their marriage.
In the 1871 Census George (39) and Mary
(41) are living on Kings Street, Finchley.
4. Harriet.......married George Worby on 15th October 1864 in Codicote, Hertfordshire. I could not find any records that show George and Harriet had any children.
In the 1901
Census George (58) and Harriet (61) are living at The Grove, Spencer Place, St Albans.
Harriet died in 1909 aged 69.
5. Susan.......married James Sear in 1869 in the district of Pancras, London (1b 58). I believe they had a son born out of wedlock, James Timothy Sear born in 1865 who was brought up by Susan's sister Ann. In 1869 they have a son Alfred.
In the 1881
Census James (37) and Susan (38) are living at 24 Golborne Road, Kensington, Middlesex.
6. Joseph.......aged 32 married Ruth Elsom (29) in 1877 in Welwyn, Hertford, England, father of the
In the 1891
Census Joseph (47) and Ruth (43) are living on Mill Lane,
7. Richard.......married Amelia Ewington in abt. 1868. I came across an entry in the death register of Mar. 1914 of a Richard Ironton who died in the district of Hatfield (3a 854) aged 65.
8. Sarah…….married Robert Berry and they had two children, Annie E born abt 1877 and Sarah S berry born abt 1880 .
John Ireton* (21) and Elizabeth
Williams (20) got married at the church of
Digswell on the 10th September 1882. At the time of
their marriage both John
and Elizabeth are
residing in Digswell in the county of Hertford.
*On the marriage certificate Ironton is misspelt as Ireton.
**George I believe is not John’s father but had brought him up as his son since the age of 4 and as John had kept his mother’s name Ironton it was perhaps easy and to avoid confusion to put George’s surname as Ironton on the marriage certificate, instead of Prior.
***Prior is misspelt as Pryor
the 1881 Census Ann (50) and George (43) are living in the village of Harmer
Green, Welwyn, Hertfordshire.
Children of John and Elizabeth
1. Ethel…….birth registered in the district of Barnet in 1883 (Dec. 3a 210)
2. James…….born about 1887
3. John…….birth registered in the district of Barnet in 1889 (Sep. 3a 243)
In the 1891 Census Ann (64) and George (53) are living in the village of Digswell, Hertfordshire.
They are living with George's mother Martha (79). Also living with them is James T Ironton
(25) and Norman Hughesman (31) who is down as border.
Under occupation Martha is down as Living on her own means, George and James are down as Agricultural Labourers.
the 1891 Census John (29) and Elizabeth (27) are living at 2, Dunger Place, Finchley, East Finchley,
Ann died in 1893 age 65, death registered in the district of Hatfield, Herts (Jun. 3a 295).
What Happened to the Children of Ann
1. Emma.......(29) married Frederick Copping (26) on 5th August 1883 at Digswell, Hertfordshire. Frederick’s father is William Copping.
In the 1911 Census Emma (52) and Frederick
(53) are living at 43 Trinity Road, East Finchley, Middlesex, they have been
married for 28 years.
2. John.......see above and below
3. Agnes Anne.......Agnes
Anne Horington*(20) married William
Clifford (20) on the 23rd September 1877 at St Mary’s Church, Finchley, London. Both are residing in
Finchley at the time of their marriage. William’s
profession is Brick Maker.
the 1911 Census Agnes (53) and William (52) are living at Prctoria Villa, Leggatt Grove, Dale Grove, N Finchley, they have been
married for 32 years.
What Happened to the Children of Ann and George
married Elizabeth Wheeler (24) in 1888 at Welwyn, Hertfordshire.
*Pryor now spelt with an y instead of the i.
the 1911 Census James (47) and Elizabeth (46) are living on Mimram Road, Welwyn, Hertfordshire. They had been maried for 23 years.
*On the census it states that they had 6 children, 5 had lived and one had died. We know that another son (Her)Bert is staying at Agnes’ home, John’s half-sister, in the 1911 census. Referring to the 1901 census we see the other 2 children were Edith b.1890 and Francis b.1901. Francis died aged 4 in 1905.
4. Helen…….born 4th July 1892 (Sep. 3a 256)
5. Mildred…….is born at 2 St. John’s Cottages, Summers Lane, Finchley on the 17th August 1905. Her mother’s maiden name was Williams. John’s occupation is down as General Labourer.
the 1911 Census John (52) and Elizabeth (48) are still living at 2
Summers Lane, North Finchley, Middlesex, they have been married for 31 years.
John.....died on June 13th 1914 aged 56, he is buried in Holy Trinity Churchyard in East Finchley. On John’s Grave stone are two more names, his Grandchildren Robert and Rosannah. Robert died aged 3½ in 1931 and Rosannah aged 8 weeks in 1921. Both Robert and Rosannah are the children of James W Ironton, John’s eldest son.
Elizabeth remarried in 1915 to Charles Barnard (Dec. Islington 1b 1021).
Elizabeth passed away around 1936/7.
What Happened to the Children of John and Elizabeth.
1. Ethel…….married Frederick M Coates in 1906 in the district of Barnet (Sep. 3a 719).
the 1911 Census Frederick (30) and Ethel
(28) are living at 40 Byrne Road, Balham, S W London, their
They had 3 more children, Roland, Minnie and Doreen.
2. James……. I came across an
entry in the marriage register of Mar 1917
of James W marrying
Matilda remarried in 1937 to (William) Robert Strudwick, they had 2 children Anne and Frederick.
3. John……. I came across an entry in the marriage register of Mar 1909 of John marrying Florence Eva in the district of Barnet (3a 426).
the 1911 Census John (21) and Florence (20)
are living at 2 Church Path, North Finchley, Middlesex, they have been married
for 2 years.
4. Helen…….I came across an
entry in the marriage register of Jun 1912
of Helen marrying Harry Ibbs in the district of Barnet
(3a 718). In 1915 Helen and Harry had a daughter Lilian M, sadly Harry was killed in 1915 while serving with the Essex Regiment as a Lance Corporal in the first world war.
5. Mildred……. (23)
and William George Stanley Bedford (25) got married at the register office in
the district of Barnet on the 2nd March 1929. At the
time of their marriage William is
residing at 4 William Street, North Finchley and Mildred
at 13 Ingle Way, North Finchley.